In most households, back to school is a mixture of excitement and anxiety. It’s sort of the equivalent of starting a new job for adults, but at kid level. The anticipation of a new adventure and the fear of the unknown collide, making back to school a major annual event for everyone.
Some families have traditions surrounding back to school that help the whole family ease into the new, demanding schedule after lazy summer days of sleeping late and chilling. Marking the day with special activities makes it memorable, less stress-full and more fun.
- Fill each backpack with new school supplies that you shopped for with the kids.
- Pull together the perfect outfit for the first day of school.
- Get the ritual “end of summer” haircut.
- Plan a special dinner feast for the night before or a full-on pancake breakfast the morning of. (Yes, you’ll have to get up extra early for this one!)
- At the end of the first day of school, go out for ice cream (or Starbucks) and talk about the day: new and old friends, classes, teachers, homework and what they liked the most.
- Document how the kids have grown over the summer by keeping a journal or video log of height, weight and a photo in that first-day outfit.
Get your home ready
for back to school
As kids grow up, your house needs to keep up. Space needs can change, and rooms may require updating to keep up with lifestyle changes. For example, elementary-school-aged children need space for playdates with friends. Middle-school kids need more space for homework and projects that can sometimes
get messy. Teenagers will want space to entertain their friends without benefit of little brothers or sisters around.
Concrete Craft® can help you transform any room into durable, easy-care, kid-resistant space with decorative concrete in stained, stamped and resurfaced finishes you’ll love.
If your basement is mainly storage, how about converting it into functional living space as a game room or media center? There will be less sibling rivalry for the family room with an alternative space for entertaining available. Start with a stained concrete floor, and the basement can become the
perfect place for teens to hang out with friends or host a regular study group.
- This floor can take a lot of activity without showing wear and tear.
- The sealed surface is resistant to chipping, cracking or peeling and inhibits accumulation of dust, bacteria, mold and other allergens.
- Cleanup is with just a dust mop and occasional wet mop, making it easy for the kids to be responsible for the space.
Update the family room or great room with a custom, hand-cut and custom-colored decorative concrete overlay that looks like authentic flagstone. Set up a homework station in one area of the room with desk space for multiple users so kids can work side by side. Area rugs can define
different areas of the room, such as a play area for little ones with toys on shelves or in baskets, and a reading corner with a couple of comfy chairs, table, and reading lamps.
- Art and science projects are no problem with this floor, paint spills or baking soda and vinegar volcano eruptions will wipe right up; no staining the finish or marring the tough surface.
- Parents can be close by while kids are working, to answer questions or give needed assistance.
- The space will be maximized for multiple uses while allowing a degree of separation for different activities.
If a sewing room or guest bedroom sits idle a lot of the time, repurpose that usable space with a stamped decorative concrete floor in a wood plank or tile pattern as a playroom or an individual bedroom for a child who has outgrown sharing a bedroom. Older kids appreciate having their own
space, and back to school is a good time to honor growing up with a room of their own.
- Bring in a computer desk as a homework station and work space.
- Bookcases and shelves can organize school books, games and keepsakes.
- Let the proud, new occupant select colors and patterns for bedding, rugs and curtains to make the space their own.
Graduate to durable, decorative
If any of your floors are looking worn and tired, decorative concrete can make them look like new for years to come. It’s as easy as removing the damaged carpet, tile or hardwood, laying a fresh, concrete overlay to hide cracks, discoloration and imperfections in the existing floor, and
refinishing it in the style of your choice.
concrete can create a rich, vibrant floor from practically unlimited color choices. Unlike paint that produces an opaque finish, stain allows the nature and texture of the concrete to show through.
concrete uses rubber stamp patterns designed from real stone molds to imprint the concrete overlay to resemble natural slate, stone, tile, brick and wood planks, from rustic wood to elegant, realistic stone.
concrete can duplicate realistic-looking Flagstone, cobblestone, Ashlar slate, Roman slate and random stone with hand-cut precision and custom-color to match your home’s décor and style.
Start the school year right, with decorative concrete floors that keep pace with the way you live today. The artisans at Concrete Craft are ready to help with decorative concrete overlays for interior and exterior concrete surfaces, including patios, walkways, driveways and pool decks, as well as
vertical concrete resurfacing for faux stone finishes on fireplace surrounds, accent walls, seat walls, and more.
Call 866-813-3699today or go online to www.concretecraft.com to find the Concrete Craft location nearest you and request a FREE estimate. Stroll through the
photo galleriesfor all our spaces and see what we can do to enhance your home with beautiful decorative concrete.