Get Your Home Ready For The Holidays With Easy-Care Decorative Concrete
Once Halloween is over, we’re all on the fast track to the year-end holidays. Are you ready?
- 27 days till Thanksgiving
- 54 shopping days till Christmas
- 56 days till Kwanzaa
- 53 days till Hanukkah
- 62 days till New Year’s Day 2020
No matter what you experience—snowdrifts, sunshine states, rain-drenched days and weeks—you’ll feel the pressure to make the holidays as delightful as possible for your family and friends. Concrete Craft® would like to offer a few suggestions to help make the holidays less stressful and more enjoyable for everyone, including you!
Holiday decorating isn’t a competition
Seasonal decorations are supposed to add to the enjoyment of the holidays, not add an additional layer of stress. Be realistic about what you can accomplish around a busy work and family life and make decorating part of the fun. After all, unless you are Martha Stewart, you don’t have to be Martha Stewart!
- If events like illness, a new baby, a new job, or a move have unsettled life a bit, enjoy guilt-free, scaled-back holiday decorations this year.
- Enlist help from family members and don’t expect perfection from everyone, just enjoy the happy result.
- Mix things up a little by letting the kids make decorations and put a new twist on the holidays. Check out 30 Homemade Ornaments for the Kids.
- Plan for decorations that can transition from one holiday to the next. Interchangeable decorations include candles, garlands, strings of lights, table runners, pumpkins, pinecones, snowflakes, and holly.
- A winter wonderland of white can become Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, or New Year’s by adding holiday-specific elements.
Enjoy your favorite holiday foods
During the bustling holidays is not the time to attempt new recipes or try to become a gourmet cook between all-day shopping and wrapping gifts late at night. Your family and guests will be looking forward to your signature dishes, so give yourself a break and serve all the favorites, with maybe a new treat of two added to the menu.
- Assemble all the recipes you’ll be using and make sure you have all the ingredients you need, including spices, specialty pans, serving dishes, cookie cutters, tools, and toppings.
- Make a schedule and prepare whatever you can ahead of time and freeze, like vegetable stock for gravy or sugar cookies to decorate later.
- Order specialty items well in advance, like exotic chocolates, Honey Baked Ham, turducken, or imported truffles for your grandma’s secret stuffing recipe.
- Consider serving buffet-style instead of sit-down for a large crowd, including a self-service beverage bar so you get to eat hot food, too.
- It’s not cheating to buy a fancy dessert to top off your home-cooked meal. 1-800-bakery.com has fun and creative holiday-specific treats everyone will long remember.
- Stock your pantry with your everyday needs so you won’t run out if you get weather-bound or extra company shows up.
Prepare for winter weather
Wherever you live, winter brings its challenges—snow, flooding, sleet, hail, mud, storms—and if you take steps now to curtail problems there won’t be unpleasant surprises. Be proactive about securing your home to ensure safety for your family and guests.
- Clean out wood-burning chimneys to make sure they are clear of any blockage and have gas fireplaces checked for leaks and the gas lines cleaned.
- Service your home’s heating/air unit and replace filters so it’s in good working order.
- Stock up on firewood, candles, and other emergency items.
- Have eco-friendly deicing products ready for that first snowfall such as sand, coffee grounds, fireplace ash, and alfalfa meal.
- Non-slip rugs by entry doors, inside and out, will absorb rain and snow and prevent falls.
- Increase safety with extra outside lights, electric or solar-powered, to illuminate dark walkways or other outside areas.
- Have Concrete Craft repair concrete that is cracked or damaged with resurfaced concrete overlays for driveways, walkways, and entryways before bad weather hits.
Reduce cleaning time with decorative concrete floors
More people, cooking, and entertaining along with bad weather and wet pets can have a real impact on the amount of time you spend cleaning the house. Tracked in mud, snow, and rain can devastate carpet and hardwood floors especially, and keeping ahead of the mess can be time-consuming and frustrating when you’d rather be doing something more fun. A sure way to reduce cleaning time at the holidays (and all year long) is to replace existing high-maintenance flooring with easy-care decorative concrete floors, including stained, stamped, and hand-cut faux stone designs.
No more worries about damage from wet feet tracking in dirt, stains, and mildew, decorative concrete floors are practically indestructible!
- The industry-tough sealed finish resists weather of all kinds.
- The sealed surface resists stains and spills and will never chip, crack or peel.
- The finish repels moisture, mold, and bacteria growth for an allergen-free environment.
- Regular dust mopping and occasional wet mopping will keep the floors looking like new.
- “Hardwood” floors will stay as beautiful as the day they’re installed.
- Grouted stone and tile patterns are one continuous sealed surface, so there’s no grout to chip, crack, or darken over time.
- Our fade-resistant concrete stains retain their vibrant color.
Concrete Craft is ready to help you enjoy the holidays more with low-maintenance decorative concrete floors. Contact us today or go online to www.concretecraft.com to find the Concrete Craft location nearest you and request a FREE design consultation. There’s still time to make a difference before winter sets in by transforming your concrete surfaces, including interior floors, patios, driveways, walkways, and more, with versatile, durable decorative concrete. Check out our Interior Design Guide for inside the home and our MasterProTMProduct Catalog for outdoor and commercial spaces as well.
Happy holidays from Concrete Craft!